2015 - PRESENT
Governor Rauner has changed the dynamic in Springfield by placing a renewed emphasis on the taxpayer as a key stakeholder in state government. Since coming to office, Governor Rauner has achieved the following:
Bruce Rauner is leading the movement to fix Illinois. Join the movement. Go to fixillinois.com to find out more.
SUPPORT TERM LIMITS:
- Provided record funding for elementary and secondary schools statewide.
- Ended the unfair practice of proration, ensuring every school receives the same funding or more as the previous year.
- Created a bipartisan commission to revamp Illinois’ school funding formula.
- Created Intersect Illinois, a private economic development entity to lead the state’s economic development and business recruitment efforts.
- Negotiated and signed historic unemployment insurance reforms that crack down on benefit fraud and support fairness for all workers.
- Signed new agreements with 18 labor unions, providing fair deals for state employees. The state now encourages worker initiative by offering salary increases and bonuses for employees based on a worker’s merit and taxpayer savings, instead of unfairly giving automatic raises to employees with seniority.
- Kept taxpayer voices in the conversation and blocked repeated attempts to raise taxes. Special interest groups tried - and failed - to force a $3 billion tax hike on Illinois families to fund additional generous perks and benefits for government employees.
- Saved taxpayers millions of dollars by terminating a last-minute, insider deal with the state’s lottery manager signed by the previous administration.
- Reformed the Economic Development for a Growing Economy, or EDGE, tax credit program to eliminate special deals to the politically connected and to only provide credits for actual job creation.
- Defeated a $7 billion out-of-balance spending plan that would have required crippling tax increases to pay for all of its promises.
- Launched a new state transparency portal to increase taxpayer access to state contracts, vendor expenditures and Rutan-exempt employee salaries
- Signed legislation to make Judy Baar Topinka's government salary transparency website a permanent legacy.
CARING FOR ILLINOISANS’ MOST VULNERABLE
- Launched a Health and Human Services transformation to improve care and move Illinois residents in the care of the state from institutional settings to community-based settings.
- Re-determined Medicaid eligibility to ensure the most vulnerable citizens receive the highest level of care.
REFORMING THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM
- Established a historic commission to reform Illinois’ broken criminal justice system, decrease prison populations and reduce recidivism.
- Removed occupational-licensing barriers, making it easier for former offenders to support themselves and their families after paying their debts to society.
GETTING RID OF CORRUPTION
- Tightened ethics rules for executive branch employees, including limits on gifts from lobbyists, lobbyist-funded travel and a one-year revolving door ban.
- Established a task force on government consolidation to recommend ways to reduce red tape and consolidate layers of Illinois government.